The original part of today’s building was built in 1879 by Josiah Hall for the Primitive Methodist Church. Central United Church of Unionville was formed in 1925 when Presbyterians united with the Methodists for the first United Church service in the building.
In building the original structure in 1879, the limestone was shipped across Lake Ontario from Kingston and hauled by horse-drawn wagon from Lake Ontario to the present site. In 1891, the ladies of congregation had storage buildings built behind the church for coal and wood.
In 1952, the church underwent major renovations. A chancel was added at this time and a new 2 manual Casavant Pipe Organ Opus 2104 was installed. A beautiful communion table was crafted by long time member James Cochrane. The pews were refinished and arranged to create a centre aisle. A reading stand, the pulpit and hymn boards were made and donated by other church members. Open floor areas were carpeted in red and a new lighting with oil heating system were installed.
The organ and the cross on the communion table were dedicated to the memory of those lost of two World Wars and the baptismal fount was given in memory of Helen Russell by friends.
In 1955, the bell was removed from the former Presbyterian Church and was placed in the tower of Central United. Chimes were added to the organ in 1967, donated in memory of Mabel L. Brown by her husband. The chimes were subsequently extended to sound outside from the church tower.
In 1981, Central United replaced the original 2 manual organ with a 4 manual, 50 stop Casavant Organ Opus 970. This organ was originally built in 1922 for St. Andrew’s United Church of Toronto.