FROM THE MINISTER’S DESK
I enjoy this time of year in Ontario; the season of fresh fruits and vegetables newly harvested from gardens and orchards. There is something about the taste of a tomato fresh from the vine, of a new potato dug from the ground that day, or of an apple handpicked and eaten as you walk in an orchard that is simply unmatched. Why do such things taste so good to us? The scriptures teach us that the One who created “every plant yielding seed” and “every tree with seed in its fruit” for food also created the human complete with taste buds. Psalm 65 is a prayer/song of praise for the earth’s bounty that God provides. The Psalmist prays, “You crown the year with your bounty; your wagon tracks overflow with richness.” As your taste buds delight in the freshness of fruit and vegetable that this season provides, may this praise of God be yours.
MARK YOUR CALENDARS
WEEKLY PRAYER MEETING & TIME OF FELLOWSHIP
August 20th, 2020 at 7:00 pm
A reminder that you are invited to join in the Thursday Prayer Meeting followed by a Time of Fellowship at 7:00 PM. After the prayer time we have some time for fellowship to allow us to catch up with each other a little. The meeting is held using the Zoom technology. Please join 10 minutes before the 7:00 PM start time.
Here are the details for those that wish to participate:
Access to Join Zoom Meeting from your PC, Tablet or Smartphone
- Copy this address into your web browser https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8925458525 or click here
- If you are joining with the Zoom App the Meeting ID is: 892 545 8525 (Note that you can also download the Zoom Application and use the Meeting ID to join)
Quick access by phone:
- Call: 647 374-4685
- When prompted press: 892 545 8525 #
- Then when prompted again press: # to enter the call
CENTRAL UNITED IN-PERSON WORSHIP
August 23rd, 2020
Central United Church has resumed it’s in person Worship Services. In this first phase of reopening our church for worship we are able to welcome people in the church building limited to 30% or our seating capacity and subject to social distancing and health guidelines.
We ask that you continue to enjoy the livestreaming of our worship service online in the comfort of your home if any of the following apply to you:
- If you are not feeling well
- If you have been in contact with someone who has tested positive for Covid 19
- If you have any pre-existing health concerns in relation to Covid 19
- If you are not yet comfortable with the thought of getting together in a group setting
For those of you who choose to attend, we look forward to being together. Please expect the following:
- Expect to enter and exit only through the front door.
- Expect to wear a mask during your time inside the church building. Please bring your own.
- Expect to be directed to a seat. We need to fill and empty the church in an organized manner to maintain physical distancing. Only family members and/or members of your agreed upon “social circle” will be allowed to sit together without the constraints of physical distancing.
- Expect that there will be no congregational singing.
- Expect to take your jacket, purse, and personal items with you to your seat as we want to avoid a pile-up at the coat rack.
- Expect to arrive early for two reasons.
- The live stream starts at 9:45 and we ask there to be minimal noise in the sanctuary at that point.
- It will take longer than usual to seat people.
- Expect there will be no children’s church at this time and the nursery room will be closed.
- Expect that you will be asked to maintain appropriate physical distancing while on the church property.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we endeavor to work together to make our worship both safe and meaningful during this unusual time.
ONLINE SUNDAY WORSHIP, August 23rd
This Sunday’s service will be available to watch via live streaming at 10:00 am and is recorded for later viewing, through the Church website. To watch live or view a recording later, go to the Church website, scroll down and click on Central United’s Live Stream Page or click here. A copy of the bulletin for this Sunday’s Service is attached here. We suggest, for joining the live stream, that you tune in early. You are encouraged to have your bible handy and please note that the text of this Sunday’s Sermon will be available on our Church website prior to Service time. This Sunday’s Scripture readings are Exodus 1:8-2:10, Romans 12:1-8 and Matthew 16:13-20. You can also find a daily scripture message at the top of our website.
Please join us each week and spread this good word. Share our streaming information with family and friends, and via your extended social network, hopefully, more and more people will hear about our live stream services and join in each week.
CENTRAL KIDS IN THE SON
There are just three weeks remaining to the online programme that we are offering for children. There will be Bible story videos using RightNow Media and activities. You can find this week’s video once you have logged on to RightNow Media where you will navigate to “Libraries” and search for Central United Church. There you will see “Central United Church Kids in the SON” and this week’s video: “The Good Samaritan”. If you have yet to enroll in the RightNow Media service, just send Sharlene an email at [email protected] with RightNow Media in the subject line and she will set you up.
This week’s activities can be found here. Please encourage your children/grandchildren to send us stories, drawings, messages to post on the CUC website (permission slip can be accessed here).
BSF BIBLE STUDY for MEN at CENTRAL
BEGINNING in SEPTEMBER
This year the study is on the book of Genesis. We will be meeting Monday evenings at 7 PM over Zoom and then will meet together in person at Central as we are able.
This is open to all men in the community, not just those at Central. Please consider it and invite others to look into it as well. Programs for women and young adults are also available locally. Please contact Doug Stirling ([email protected]) or Ron Wyse ([email protected]) if you would like more information or if you want to sign up.
Donations for the work of Central United Church can be made online.
- You can donate to Central United by clicking here:
- You can continue to specify how you want your donation to be allocated by either selecting the appropriate category on the website or by typing in your choice in the MESSAGE box.
- Donation receipts will be issued directly by Canada Helps, so there is no need to include your envelope number.
- If you have any questions, email [email protected].
In addition to the online donation option, your church offerings can also be mailed to the church.
Should you become aware of any illness, bereavement, hospitalization, etc., among people of our church, please notify the church office as soon as possible.
During this time of limitations on in-person visits, Rev. Dr. James Clubine is available for a telephone or video conference pastoral ‘visit’ and prayer. If you would like to book a visit, please contact Rev. Clubine at the church office 905.474.0183×228 or mobile office 416.358.4924 or by email [email protected].