Central United Church, located on Main Street Olde Unionville, is searching for a Music Director. Central is a Christ- centred congregation that places a strong emphasis on music ministry.
The successful candidate would develop, coordinate and deliver an effective well-rounded music program inclusive of traditional and contemporary styles. Our Church has a 2-manual Casavant organ and a Steinway grand piano which are used in services as required. The candidate will have the ability to work effectively with choir members of all ages providing music direction, choral conducting and coordination of other musicians as required.
Expected start date is mid-August 2014. Target hours range from 10-15 per week. Compensation is commensurate with qualifications and experience. See below for a more comprehensive job description.
Interested parties are asked to forward their resume with reference contacts to Rev. Karl Burden ([email protected]).
Job Description – Music Director
To develop, coordinate and deliver an effective well rounded music program inclusive of traditional and contemporary styles. Provide leadership and supervision for paid and volunteer musicians/choral members in harmony with the theological direction of our church.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
Will include but not be limited to the following:
- Communicate with Ministerial Staff to incorporate music consistent with the Minister’s theological direction
- Provide the Service preparation and leadership of choir(s), soloists and musicians through weekly rehearsals
- Provide prelude, postlude, offertory, choral and instrumental leadership at Sunday and special services
- Source guest musicians when appropriate and accompany them as needed
- Arrange for substitute pianist/organist due to absence in consultation with the Worship Committee
- Provide approval of all musical selections for weddings held at Central United Church
- Provide music accompaniment for weddings, funerals and other consultations as required
- Plan and produce special music concerts – eg. fund raisers, Christmas pageants etc., with Worship Committee approval
- Complete an annual expense budget and submit to appropriate Committees for approval
- Select, purchase & maintain music resources within budget guidelines and restrictions
- Submit copyright reports or music usage to licensing companies used by Central United Church in conjunction with the Office Administrator
- Demonstrated knowledge and proficiency with piano and choral conducting
- Proficient ability to play a pipe organ is preferred
- A Bachelor of Arts Degree in Music is an asset
Knowledge, experience and an appreciation of various styles of music that enhance worship at Central United Church
- The ability to work with enthusiasm both independently and as part of a team is essential
The successful candidate will have the ability to foster the growth of the music program for all age groups at Central United Church
- Good knowledge of English language with ability to communicate effectively and in a timely fashion
This person must exhibit diplomacy and ease working with the Minister(s), Office Administrator, Senior and Junior choirs (once established) as well as members of the congregation