As we look at the year 2012, the generosity of Central’s congregation is evident in the overwhelming support given to Outreach projects in our own community and around the world. Donations of $500 were made to each of the following organizations: Christian Blind Mission, Canadian Food Grains, Water Can, Yellow Brick House, The Salvation Army and Yonge Street Mission.
Generous support was also given to the following special projects:
- The Lenten Project for 2012 was in support of the ‘Teen Challenge GTA’ Centre for women located near Aurora, ON. Our congregation contributed $6000 in support of this Christian residence which provides a faith-based program of education and rehabilitation for young women who are recovering from lives broken by substance abuse. On March 11th, we were blessed by a heartfelt presentation from two of the students from Teen Challenge and their team leaders, Rev. Niles and Donna Thorne.
- Within Central’s Church family, Kristin Derry is volunteering with HavServe as Education Program Coordinator in Haiti. Kristin has taken a 6 month leave from her teaching position in York Region to share her expertise and her faith with the teachers and students in a country devastated by the 2010 earthquake. A donation of $1000 from Outreach funds was forwarded in support of Kristin’s volunteer efforts. Additionally, through your support of one of our small group’s effort, 64 French Bibles were sent to Kristin in Haiti.
- The Samaritan’s Purse Shoeboxes were enthusiastically filled with many gifts and lots of love! Thanks to everyone who participated…..a total of 175 boxes were filled! A special thank you to Agnes Willerding for leading this project and to her daughters, Suzie and Andrea who took the project to work and filled 78 of the gift boxes!
- The Children’s Aid Christmas Gift project was lovingly supported again this year with 45 gifts being purchased for children in foster care. Thank you to Heather Keeling and her team for their dedication to this project each year.
- The Markham Food Bank was the grateful recipient of our White Gifts again this year. Seven boxes of food and $800 in cash were delivered before Christmas. In addition, through a small group initiative, the sale of 100 gift bags resulted in a donation of 100 turkeys for needy families in our community.
- The presence of the brightly decorated Mitten Tree in the Narthex was evidence of the donations of beautiful knitted items. Three boxes of warm mittens, hats and scarves were delivered to Pathways of York Region in Markham.
- Our own Tiina Derry joins The Ghana Health Team on a medical mission trip to Ghana in April 2013. A donation of $2000 from Outreach funds has been given in support of the preparations for this very worthwhile endeavour.
Ongoing support continues for three foster children through ‘Plan International’ and ‘Compassion’ in Colombia, Indonesia and El Salvador.
Your contributions to ‘ Sleeping Children Around the World’ continue to supply bed kits for many needy children in developing countries. For the year 2012, the proceeds from congregational offerings, penny pail donations and greeting card sales enabled us to purchase 150 bedkits at a cost of $35 each ($5,250 in total!). Thank you Central for your long time support of this charity that gives 100% of every donation to the children!
Thank you to my fellow volunteer members of our 2012 Outreach Committee for their continued dedication. The members are Agnes Willerding, Marion McCallum, Felicity Monaco and Peter Seidler.
Rev. Jim Clubine joins our meetings and we appreciate his guidance and encouragement. We were deeply saddened by the passing of Evelyn Hunt, our dear friend and long-time Committee member. Evelyn’s wisdom, kindness and her caring ways will be long remembered by us all.
Sincere gratitude to all of you, the members of Central United Church Family, for your generous support of the many outreach projects throughout the year. Your expression of care and concern for others is greatly appreciated in our own community and around the world.